Saturday, September 17, 2011

What now?

So now you have your diagnosis. What to do now? Well you can't give up that is for sure. That is not and should never be an option. Your doctor has rattled off a list of medical terms that you are pretty certain even Einstein didn't understand, and now you are expected to get it right away. It doesnt really work that way unfortunately.  It is a lot to take in all at once, but here is a quick tip. Once you are armed with the proper information, then you can be a HUGE proponent for your own care and survival!!!!!

Take some time to let it absorb. (I will sit here and wait patiently)

I have cancer.
I have cancer.
OMG I have cancer.
I have cancer?
Cancer? really? As in CANCER??

You got to be joking me!!! I DO NOT HAVE CANCER!!!

oh. I have cancer.

Well, fuck.


This really sucks.


Yes it does my sisters. It sucks. But again, it is not the end of the world. ( Oh I see you werent done yet- sorry)


I HAVE CANCER!!!!!!!!! SCREAMING,THROWING A FIT, YELLS, SWEARS LIKE A SAILOR, COLLAPSES TO THE GROUND IN A SOBBING MESS OF HYSTERICS. I don't wanna have cancer. I'm gonna die, I don't want to be sick. This is not fair. What did I do wrong? Why me? I can't do this!!!


MMkay, feel a little better now? here, I will help you stand up, here is a tissue, wipe your eyes off a little, take a deep breath and just know inside, everything is going to be all right. You can do this, you are a fighter, and above all, you are NOT alone. I will not leave you out in the cold. I will be here to hold your hand, answer your questions, be your strenghth and support. However, be warned. I will not allow you to give up.

You are a fighter, you are strong, you are woman, and some silly little word is not going to define your life. Unless that word is MILLIONAIRE,  and in that case, this conversation is over, and we are all about the monies!!! But since the word is actually CANCER, it's a conversation we are going to be having a lot. Whether you are Stage 0 or Stage 4, this word does not define you as a person, as a woman, or as a human being. You are not a statistic, or someone standing in a long line of women waiting to get their Exit Stage Life papers.

You are a powerful source of inner strength you never knew you had, and we are going to tap that strength a great deal during this fight- but it always regenerates, so don't worry, you won't run out!!!!

Now let's just get some tea, sit back and relax and reflect on the awesomeness that we all are.

and remember- CANCER is a word, not a definition.

No comments:

Post a Comment